john lansing npr political partyjohn lansing npr political party

Its new president and chief executive is John Lansing, a former cable executive who for the last five years has run the U.S. Agency for Global Media, the federally funded organization behind. Mr. Lansings colleagues attribute the growth to his embrace of digital formats and the understanding of audiences that he gleaned from the private sector. There are over 1000 NPR Member Station signals broadcasting across the United States I have a negative reaction to what is fundamentally unfair in life, whether it be pay equity, promotions and advancement, training and hiring, or making sure leadership represents people of color and our staff. Its not something weve baked and were just going to hand it down. I had no idea what was out there. "I have been an avid fan of NPR for many years. All of that is to say that coming out of the reckoning of Memorial Day 2020 was for us and for me, in particular, a call to action internally at NPR to hear and reckon with our own issues internally. Current. I'm just passionate about how good leadership can lead to good outcomes, and that led me here. What we now call the North Star of our strategic plan is our DEI efforts as it filters through everything that we do with all of our work. Learn more at npr.org/about or by following NPR Extra on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I think the work Keith has been doing long before I got here on diversity in tracking sources and the storytelling that we're doing around the company has really been effective in the area of DEI on radio, podcasting, and digital. Last year, the network booked $134 million in such corporate underwriting, a record built on strong growth in podcasting revenue in recent years. Coming into public media, which I love, I noticed something that would be unusual in commercial media, in that there really wasnt a great investment in marketing podcasting to outside audiences off of our platforms. We have many miles to go. Lansing: Thats a great question. Doing that just requires that were putting more emphasis on the diversity of our decision makers, our leadership, our story selection, our source selection. And it gives the lie to NPRs claim, through disclaimers, that it is simply reporting on its own the implication of the disclaimer being that there is no editorial control or direction from the CEO. Trump has notably praised authoritarian figures, including the leaders of North Korea, the Philippines, Russia and Turkey and has waged his own fight against journalists. So it's kind of inseparable, that coming in as CEO of NPR, and then six months in having the coronavirus, followed by a major economic downturn in the country and for NPR, and then the reckoning that summer. "When we say we are eliminating filled positions, we are talking about our colleagues - people whose skills, spirit and talents help make NPR what it is today," Lansing wrote in a memo to staff today. (Former long time member). How cool is it to be at NPR? NPR CEO Jarl Mohn To Step Down After 5-Year Term Ends In June, Tensions Build In NPR Newsroom Over Handling Of Sexual Harassment Allegations, NPR Announces Newsroom Job Cuts Amid Restructuring. NPR headquarters in Washington, D.C. NPR takes only a few million dollars a year from federal sources for its programs. Family Status: Married with 4 Children (Jean Rausch Lansing) During that financial crisis, NPR shut down shows and laid off scores of people. NPR draws more than 28 million listeners each week and 40 million unique monthly visitors to its website both represent a rise of several million over those five years. Chief Executive Officer and Director of the, Cable & Telecommunications Association for Marketing, Florangela Davila to Become KNKX News Director, NPR Hires Noelle LaCharite As VP Digital Technology. So hes doubling down on lack of diversity, does that mean he wants his audience to reflect the other half of the country, the conservatives in flyover country? National Public Radio (NPR) CEO John Lansing announced in a Wednesday memo that the network will lay off 10 percent of its staff and freeze vacant positions. At Colorado Public Radio, I think there was a $300,000 donation that came out of that. And were pleased to work with them. A later report commissioned by the NPR board found that questions had been raised about Oreskes' behavior even before his hiring and that concerns were raised throughout his tenure; the repeated and formal warnings by top executives (including Mohn) to Oreskes to stop the unwanted attention he paid to female colleagues proved ineffective. And theyre all expected to articulate a DEI goal thats measurable, actionable, and that they can be held accountable for and will be. While they do not broadcast within the U.S., the Voice of America and the other media outfits Lansing has overseen typically adhere to traditional concepts of factual, nonideological journalism, with the frequent exception of Radio Mart historically an anti-Castro and anti-Cuban communist outlet. Lansing: Were still working on it right now. In 2019, Joshua Johnson left 1A, a nationally syndicated public affairs show produced by WAMU in Washington, D.C., and distributed by NPR, for MSNBC. I thought, wow. "The combination of his health issues plus the situation with Mike Oreskes did derail his plans.". Current: Is there a timeline for that process? But were going to continue to follow up on that going into this year. Lansing: Its on social media platforms or YouTube or through media partnerships. CEO John Lansing cited the erosion of advertising dollars, particularly for NPR podcasts, and the tough financial outlook for the media industry more generally. The ratings for our weekend magazine shows are actually slightly greater than they were a year ago pre-pandemic, so thats a bright spot. We established management commitments to the women of color so that we address specifically their concerns. I remember we had several all-staff discussions about a variety of issues that branched off of that, including the Code of Conduct, for example, as it relates to NPR employees at public demonstrations. In an email to the staff on Friday, John Lansing, who joined the nonprofit as chief executive in September, projected that NPR would fall $12 million to $15 million short of the amount it had . So I brought in Michael Smith as our new chief marketing officer almost a year ago. The last time NPR faced such stark choices, it was 2008. The Washington Post, owned by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, eliminated its Sunday magazine and a handful of other jobs. Lansing also spoke to Current about the challenges of implementing his DEI plans, the organizations financial outlook and his thoughts about the recent controversies at USAGM. "The result, I believe, is a war on truth. And I was very proud of the progress we were making. All of those underlying effects generally lead to whatever effects were going to have in corporate sponsorship. And I think we have to extend that lead. She really has helped us, and she's brought discipline to a process that in the past might have been people talking past each other a little bit and waiting for things to blow over. Mr. Mohn led the push into podcasting and helped stabilize the organization after years of management turnover and budget deficits. I can't speak for other people, CEOs. America needs public radio more than ever. You'll find out about what they do and what they're inspired by on the daily. NPR strives to create a more informed publicone challenged and invigorated by a deeper understanding and appreciation of events, ideas, and cultures. Lansing: SAG-AFTRA came out with their letter around our September board meeting in 2020. You go to college and all the sudden you're like 'wait a minute, I've got to do something when this is over.' That survey happened in the fall of 2020. "When I think of NPR and I think of the member stations collectively, I think really of journalism as a public service, not tied to a profit motive," Lansing told NPR News. My top goal is to support the women of color at NPR so that they feel like they have more upward mobility.. Yet Lansing also takes over an institution riven by a scandal that hit its top reaches, with a chief news executive toppled over #MeToo complaints of inappropriate conduct toward female subordinates and colleagues. We collected a lot of data and we have a lot of good follow-up opportunities, and Ill continue to offer myself up as a direct resource in that pilot project. Disclosure: This story was reported and written by NPR Media Correspondent David Folkenflik and edited by Acting Chief Business Editor Emily Kopp. He is credited with restoring morale, in part by naming a noted journalist as head of the Voice of America: Amanda Bennett is a former top news executive at the Philadelphia Inquirer who previously held senior newsroom jobs at Bloomberg News and The Wall Street Journal. Vegas PBS General Manager, Tom Axtell, announces his retirement. Lansing: We arent in a position to answer that until we know for sure when the pandemic is going to subside. In recent remarks online, Johnson, who is Black, focused on a more competitive landscape for NPR journalists, including people of color. The roots of the VOA involved providing truthful reports to people under Nazi and Axis power rule during World War II. I think that's where we all wind up. As we moved through the summer, that deficit remained at about $25 million. Its a real business with real market dynamics.. I, and the management team, all of us, we determined that was going to be a priority for the year 2021. Obviously, this job that you have as a CEO of NPR is a really huge responsibility. Or persons of color who are in our organization that are hearing [about] a lot of activity but arent experiencing what they believe they should be experiencing in terms of a workplace where they feel like they can grow and improve their work and improve their careers. He served on the Bellarmine University Board of Trustees from 2010-2016 and was vice-chair 2014-2016. Selected by the NPR board of directors, Lansing will start in October, succeeding outgoing head Jarl Mohn, In May 2020, four NPR female hosts of color Garcia-Navarro, King, All Things Considered host Ailsa Chang and Weekend All Things Considered host Michel Martin sent a letter to Lansing . document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Public Media Now was created to be a centralized source of information and resources to help professional within Public Media be more successful. Lansing describes himself as a citizen watching from the outside A private citizen? John Lansing, a veteran government broadcast and cable television executive, has been selected by NPR's corporate board to succeed its current chief, Jarl Mohn. In 2017, Michael Oreskes, NPRs senior vice president for news, left after two women accused him of unwanted physical advances in the 1990s, when he was the Washington bureau chief of The New York Times. But we made a firm commitment, as you know, to freeze station dues and fees. We had begun a lot of work under [Chief Diversity Officer] Keith Woods' leadership to really move us forward. John Lansing testifying before a House Appropriations subcommittee in July. Leading the organization through it all is CEO John Lansing, a longtime media executive who has been on the job since October 2019. And as a CEO, and also as a white man, I want to know, how did you handle it when all eyes were on you? Mr. Lansing, who began his career as a teenage cameraman at a television station in Kentucky, spent two decades at Scripps Networks. And its tied to the same variables you would know yourselves, which is, how fast can the vaccines be deployed?

Pet Friendly Houses For Rent In Madisonville, Ky, Seeing Horizontal Lines In Vision, How Do I Get Emergency Housing Assistance In Iowa?, Florida Man September 22, 2005, Death And The Emperor Birth Cards, Articles J

john lansing npr political party

john lansing npr political party